Greek Folk Dance Group of Sao Paulo - Brazil

Discussion on music&song and their suitablility for teaching, music authenticity and where to purchase music.

Greek Folk Dance Group of Sao Paulo - Brazil

Postby AleNeoSP » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:12 pm

Hello everyone!!

I`m very glad to find this forum, very useful for me.

I`m currently member of the Hellenic Youth of Sao Paulo - Brazil, most known as "Neolea - SP". We are a part of the Hellenic Community of Sao Paulo and the Orthodox Church of St. Peter in Sao Paulo. Our group has now 8 members, 4 of these little experienced and other 4 beginners at all.

We would be very happy if some of you can help us with some material of dances or music, because here in Brazil if very difficult to find anything about Greece.

If you have any time, please visit www.neoleasp.net, our website still in construction, being updated. There is a photo gallery in www.neoleasp.net/gallery/.

Thanks a lot,

Alexandre
Hellenic Youth of Sao Paulo - Brazil
www.neoleasp.net
webmaster@neoleasp.net
AleNeoSP

Postby STAVRAETI » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Welcome to the forum I am sure you will find tons of help...Did you come to FDF in 2003?
Last night I was in my room staring at the stars and I wondered...Where is my ceiling...
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.
- Socrates
STAVRAETI

Postby AleNeoSP » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:57 am

Thanks, STAVRAETI. I`m sure that here someone can help my group to grow and make us better greeks :) .

I went to FDF in 2003, in Anaheim... what a wonderful experience for me... but that formation is no longer together, and now I`m trying to build a new one.

That`s why I`m asking for help, I don`t have any resource here and in Brazil the only way to get music and dance is the Internet.

We are building the Attiki costume, and I`m looking for dances and music for this region... do you know any?
AleNeoSP

Postby Joe Graziosi » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:46 pm

Alexandre

There is the book "Women's Traditional Costume in Attica Greece" by Linda Welters, published 1988 by the Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation (a good resource center). Linda Welters was and might still be on the faculty of the University of Rhode Island in Kingston, Rhode Island though she might now be at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. You could google her.

Also, Domna Samiou organized a concert of children's performing groups from all over Greece several years ago and the group from Attiki danced their local dances and sang all the songs in Arvanitika. There is a video copy floating around. Most of the villages of Attiki are populated by Arvanites - descendants of Albanian migrants from the 14th and 15th centuries. Thanasis Moraites at the musical archives at the Center for Asia Minor Studies in Athens, has done extensive research and produced several CDs on Arvanitika songs from all over Greece. There was also a seminar on Arvanitic dances of Attiki and Salamina years ago at the annual Mazoxi seminar in Crete and there is also a video produced from that.

Joe Graziosi
p.s. I was in Sao Paolo many years ago teaching a dance seminar for a small International folkdance club and met some Brazilian Greeks. I remember one woman (though I can't remember her name) whose parents were Greeks from Attaleia (Antalya) Turkey. Also, where I live here on Cape Cod there are about 10,000 Brazilians and many many more throughout Massachusetts.
Joe Graziosi

Postby AleNeoSP » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:06 pm

wow!! thanks Joe for your info... really useful for me :D

from this I can start searching more information.

I visited www.pli.gr, the Peloponnesian site and saw the publications, but I still don't know how can I have them here... Do they sell and send it to Brazil?

I'm very happy for your help, and I think my group can do a good performance if I can find more material.

What year have you been here in Sao Paulo?

If you want, please e-mail me and I can read you message to my group :)

thanks a lot!!
AleNeoSP

Postby Greekdancer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:31 am

Welcome to the forum........
Vasilios ALIGIANNIS
http://www.greekdancing.com.au
Director Pan-Macedonian Hellenic Lyceum Of NSW
Dance Instructor of the Illion Association O HERMES
Director of the Institute of Hellenic Dance and Culture - Greek Folk Dancers of NSW
Greekdancer

Postby cRetelasPGD » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:37 am

Hey... Ya that was awesome when you guys came out to FDF. I think i met a few of the people from Brazil that came out... of course i dont remember their names. But I definitely remember partying with the peeps from Chili on Sunday night... man those guys were WAY more fun to party with than any Greeks ive ever met. haha... good times were definitely had. You all need to come out again!
cRetelasPGD

Postby AleNeoSP » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:03 pm

Greekdancer, thanks :D

PortlandGreekDance, it was really awesome... The people from Chile are very fun and we like them so much.

We are trying to participate in FDF 2007, our coordinator is making some contacts over there.

Our group would LOVE to be there again!!

thanks a lot.
AleNeoSP

Return to Music & Song Sources